Cooking Spirits by Joanne Pence





This is the first novel I have read by Joanne Pence, and I did not realise it is actually the first book in a second series by Pence, both of which explore the adventures and Angie Amalfi. Angie is a gourmet level chef who just can’t seem to find the right job, in this novel she and her fiancĂ© Paavo, a homicide detective, are planning their wedding while searching for a property to purchase where the two of them can live together happily.


It appears nothing can go to plan in Angie’s life, she finds the perfect property, but the floating objects and haunting scent of perfume indicate that the past tenants refuse to leave. This leads Angie to investigate a thirty year old cold case which with the help of Paavo she is able to crack.


This book was really easy to read and managed to keep me entertained with the small twists in the story, the narrative switching between Angie and Paavo manages to avoid too many lulls however I feel like it was lacking something.


There was not much in the way of character development in this book, however I do feel like I’m a bit late to the party as I have not read any of the previous books in the series prior to this one. I think that some of the decisions Angie and Paavo make in this book would bare more weight if I had known more of their back story, however it was still an enjoyable book to read. I would say it’s less of a thinker and more of a light summer holiday read, and I especially enjoyed the inclusion of some of Angie’s recipes at the end of the novel, and I’m sure that long time followers of the series would also.

Comments