The Gamble Novellas by Bill Arnott

The Gamble Novellas are made up of three books all of which follow Sherrif. When we first meet him he's the head of a small town police force struggling with some debt he has to a man we only know as Bookie. Bookie works for Boss a mysterious figure who seems to be involved in all the illegal goings on in town.

The first novella I found a little slow at the beginning but this actually served the series well as it allows the author to really build Sherrifs character so that we can really see who he is and exactly what his morals are. Things begin to pick up a bit after a break-in at a local convenience store presents Sherrif with an unexpected opportunity to change his life. I will say the ending of book one really surprised me, it was a completely unexpected twist and I'll try my best not to ruin it for you as I go on! 

The next two novellas were both very fast paced and jumped right into the action. I love how Sherrif and Claire bounce off each other and interact as characters, and I'm so glad that the story is told from their perspectives. 

Their new life isn't without its challenges when someone with links to Claire old business tracks them down, which I thought was a beautiful transition into the trouble they face further down the line which they have to become very creative to overcome. 

This was a very fun quick read which I'd highly recommend. It's something quite different from my usual fantasy genre but I found it really refreshing to immerse myself in Claire and Sherrifs lives for a little while. 




Comments

  1. Cheers Alli, love that you enjoyed The Gamble Novellas. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment