The Fraud Squad by Kayla Zhao

 

I stumbled across this book in a post by the author in one of the book groups I'm in on Facebook and I'm very pleased I did. This novel reminded me of Crazy Rich Asians, possibly because they're the only two books I've read set in Singapore, possibly because of all the glitz and glamour, but either way it definitely reflected well. 

Samantha is our heroine in the story, working in her humble but steady PR job she has always been striving to better herself and break the cycle of poverty she and her mum are living in. Samantha has always loved the world of high society and dreams of writing for one of the top magazine publications in Singapore "S".

With the help of her friends Anya and Tim she hatches a plan to fake it till she makes it on the socialite scene so she can prove that even from her more humble background, she's still more than capable of writing for S.

This books was lovely, heartwarming and funny. At times I found myself a bit frustrated by the choices Samantha was making and especially some of the things she said which upset her mum but she was living a double life at the time and the author did a fantastic job of displaying how some things started to fall through the cracks. I loved how her friendship with Raina endured and especially her newfound friendship with Daisy. 

There weren't really any slow points in this novel and we do get do see a bit of character development from several of the characters during however it is very easy to get swept up in Samantha's scheme and I found myself captivated for the whole novel, worried that someone would discover her or that something in their plan would go wrong.

Overall this was a great read and definitely a nice glimpse in to high society as well as some of the systemic problems which can affect anyone, from bullying, exclusion and snobbery this book presents a balanced picture while also maintaining a good storyline.

Comments