The Kricket series by Amy A Bartol








Hello! This is another post where I reread and review books/series that may be a bit older, or where I get the chance to tell you about books I loved back when I was in School or at Uni.

I really enjoyed the Kricket series back when I first read it and the enjoyment was not at all diminished upon rereading. The book starts in Chicago following Kricket who is working as a cleaner after running away from a stream of abusive foster homes. While traveling home from her nightshift she is cornered by three strangers who give her cryptic clues as to where her real home lies and attempt to kidnap her.

This sets off a series of events which finds Kricket learning the truth about her parentage and where she really comes from. These books are really enjoyable and easy to read, the character development is good and done at a steady pace which allows the reader to get a real feel for the character and what they’re experiencing.

If you want to read this series without any spoilers stop after the synopsis below, or alternatively keep reading to see my thoughts about the main characters and my opinion on the ending to the series.


Here’s the synopsis from amazon of the first book

Kricket Hollowell never wished upon stars. She was too busy hiding in plain sight, eluding Chicago’s foster care system. As her eighteenth birthday approaches, she now eagerly anticipates the day she’ll stop running and finally find her place in the world.

That day comes when she meets a young Etharian soldier named Trey Allairis, who has been charged with coming to Earth to find Kricket and transport her to her true home. As danger draws close, he must protect her until she can wield the powers she cannot use on Earth…and he soon realizes that counting a galaxy of stars would be easier than losing this extraordinary girl.

Kyon knows the powerful depths of Kricket’s gifts—gifts he’ll control when he takes her for his tribe and leads the forces that will claim Ethar and destroy his enemies, starting with Trey Allairis. Now, Kricket faces the most difficult choice of her life: whether to wage a battle for survival or a fight for love.


Spoilers ahead

I really like the character of Kricket and I was strongly rooting for her and Trey throughout books one and two, however in book three I was firmly on team Kyon. Controversial I know. There are some themes which this book touches on which I really like, the different societies on Ethar which Kricket needs to adapt to, are all very male dominated and one of the main things I love about her is that she does not back down and will not take any of their nonsense.

When it comes to Kricket being dumped into a totally new and strange environment I admire how Bartol is brave enough to let her not know everything. A great example of this is when she attempts to take the magic hand cleaning box from the server at her first fancy dinner on Ethar. Instead of the people present thinking her dim it works in her favour, they find her charming.

I don’t want to give away all the wonderful nuances and interactions which take place in this series so I’ll jump straight to the ending here. I both love and hate it. It was totally unexpected and I find that’s a really good experience for the reader, however I do have issues with how Trey was treated. For all he’s a bit intense and doesn’t know how to handle his feelings, I would have liked to see a happy ending for him, I hate to think of him alone and bitter, however I do enjoy the dramatic ending this creates.

Let me know if you prefer this deeper dive into aspects of the series, or if you would rather just get a brief overview of the book!

Comments