Wake by Amanda Hocking






As I may have already mentioned Amanda Hocking was one of my favourite authors when I was younger and I’ve been spending my extra free time to explore some of the books already sitting on my bookshelf.


Wake follows the story of Gemma who has always loved the water. It’s the start of summer and she maintains her brutal schedule of training as a competitive swimmer and has just started to develop feelings for Alex, her next door neighbour. Her relatively peaceful life is thrown into turmoil by the arrival of three beautiful strangers in town, who are also connected to the water.


What I enjoyed about this book is that you don’t have to wait too long for the story to pick up, and it is also very easy to follow. Hocking manages to bring the characters to life but doesn’t add so much detail that it weighs them down and makes them feel clunky, something which I find often happens when there is a supernatural element to books. 


Although I enjoyed rereading it, it’s not something I would purchase if I saw it in a bookshop today, it is definitely more of a young adult novel but it is a brilliant one. Rereading it has reminded me how much I enjoy Hockings writing style and I will definitely have to pick up some of her more recent publications and see how she has developed.

Comments