Strike Back by Chris Ryan

 



After trying to get through my TBR pile I found myself in a bit of a reading slump, so my partner suggested that he pick a book for me from his section of the bookcase. This resulted in me stepping out of my comfort zone and reading something I normally wouldn’t even consider.

Strike Back starts with a Prologue set in 1989 that introduces us to John
Porter a Sergeant in the British Special Air Service (SAS), often referred to in the book as “The Regiment”. He has just received a telegram informing him of the birth of his daughter back home while he is stationed in the Mediterranean.

Although the prologue does a good job of introducing us to the main character and gives us a fair amount of background which we are able to draw upon later to explain the decisions John makes and understand his reactions, I found it really dragged and almost decided to stop reading the book because of it. However, I powered through and found that when I made it through the first couple of chapters proper the book got much more enjoyable.

After the prologue we jump to the present day (set in 2006) and John is living rough on the streets of London. He is an alcoholic scraping together whatever he can just to buy another bottle of vodka, attempting to find a couple of hours work washing dishes in restaurants and hotel kitchens. It’s when he’s walking through one of these hotel lobbies that he catches the television and he sees that a Sky News reporter Katie Dartmouth has been captured by Hezbollah fighters in the Lebanon.

This ties in with Johns past and he realises he is the only one who stands a fighting chance of getting her out alive. Leading him to walk straight into the arms of his former employers, having to convince them of his credibility and his ability.

I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed this book especially with it being something I wouldn’t have chosen for myself. It was slow to start but after the prologue it was fairly easy to get through and despite touching on some darker themes such as homelessness, addiction and terrorism it was very enjoyable. There weren’t really any dull spots going through it and it was quite refreshing to read something a bit different.

Comments