Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

 


I couldn’t let October go by without reviewing at least one spooky/creepy/zombie piece of literature! As a fan of Austen I was originally sceptical of this book however it definitely won me over. You may have already guessed this is an adaptation of the original Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, the basis of the story is still the same, Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters living in the quiet village of Meryton, when the arrival of Mr Bingley, his sister and his exceedingly arrogant friend Mr Darcy stirs up the small village. The Bennet household is also thrown into turmoil by the arrival of Mr Collins, the Bennet’s cousin, who has decided to marry Elizabeth. However his determination is finally worn down by her constant refusals and he instead chooses to marry one of their neighbours from another respectable family, jeopardising the family home after Mr Bennet dies. The main difference in this version however is that Elizabeth and her sisters are determined to destroy the zombie plague which has descended on the village and is threatening their way of life.

The story line progresses in a very similar manner in both books, maintaining the romance and heartbreak of the original story, which makes it brilliant for both readers who have and have not read the classic version of the novel. The addition of zombies brings the novel to a whole new generation of readers who previously would have scoffed at the idea of reading Pride and Prejudice. I can’t really describe much more of the book or storyline without giving it all away but I hope what I have said is enough to convince you to give it a go! 

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a new genre to read, as well as for lovers of any of Jane Austen’s classic books. It is also worth mentioning that there is a film adaptation of this novel, and while I do not feel it is as good as the book, I wouldn’t discourage you from giving it a watch. Other books in this series include “Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters” and “Android Karenina” do let me know if you’d like me to do a wee review on them also.

Comments