The Story of How We Met by Ivy Oakes

 

First off I want to say I love the cover of this book and just felt like I needed to mention that! This story takes place in the small City of Halley where Sarah is getting ready to head back to High School after spending the summer tagging along with her truck driver uncle. We jump right into the drama where her best friend Alina has managed to find herself a boyfriend over summer, one of the two new boys in town Julien.

We are taken through the usual high school drama of break ups and makeups however what’s striking is how much Sarah really tries to be a good friend by Alina and smother her feelings which are developing for Julien. She seems to be particularly mature for her age but we are given enough background into her life that this isn’t surprising.

What I really liked about this book is how much it reminded me of being a teenager. Oakes has really managed to capture the essence of being in high school where you weren’t as afraid to try new things and jumped at the chance to go for a random car ride with friends.

In the end this is all a flashback of Sarah’s and it’s interesting to see how she has grown since her high school days. My understanding is that this is one novella in a series featuring the lives of different residents of Halley which is an idea I really like. There are some characters I’d really like to learn more about and having the flexibility to intertwine and disentangle their stories from book to book will only help to make the series even more interesting.

Comments