Books I didn't finish in 2020

 


Books I didn’t finish in 2020

There were nine books I DNF’d this year and I’m unsure if that’s a lot or not in bookstagram terms. Eight of them were physical books and only one was on my Kindle, I don’t know if that means I’m more likely to persevere with books on my kindle or if I’ve just been buying paperbacks I haven’t enjoyed this year.

Here are the books I DNF’d this year in no particular order;

1.      Labyrinth by Kate Mosse – this is a book I’ve read before and thoroughly enjoyed but for some reason I just couldn’t get into it. I was hoping the beautiful imagery of Carcassonne might help transport me away from the difficult situation we are all facing in regards to Covid-19 but unfortunately it wasn’t able to do so.

2.      The Comet Seekers by Helen Sedgwick – I enjoyed how the timeline jumped between the present and the past helping to keep the story lively, but it was another book that just didn’t quite hit the right note for me although I’m not entirely sure why.

3.      Time After Time by Molly Keane – I found the writing style in this very unique but just not for me nor was the constant bickering between the three main characters we are introduce to early on.

4.      The Rising Tide by Molly Keane – after my disappointment at the book mentioned above I probably didn’t give this one a fair shot and didn’t make it more than 10 pages as nothing really grasped at me or held my attention.

5.      Celtic Empire by Clive Cussler – I had quite high hopes for this and it was giving me some serious Uncharted vibes to begin with but once the hero had rescued the damsel and began gallivanting about at a fundraiser in the big city I just lost interest and found the story dragging a bit.

6.      The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni – I don’t remember where I picked this book up but I have read it a couple of times before, my not completing it this time is completely my own fault as I know it is a very heavy read and I need to allow myself the time to read it while breaking it up with other smaller projects.

7.      Fire & Blood by George RR Martin – I love everything to do with Game of Thrones, both the books and the series, so I was really excited to learn a bit more about Targaryen history however I found this a bit too much like a history textbook for me to get through.

8.      Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – I don’t remember why I didn’t finish this book, I think it was back before I started keeping track of all my reding.

9.      Heroes by Stephen Fry – I was really enjoying this book and I think I honestly just fancied reading something lighter in the middle and ended up forgetting about it.

So there’s my wrap up of all the books I didn’t finish in 2020, I’m definitely planning on revisiting some of them and remember, just because I didn’t like a book doesn’t mean that you won’t! Also any books I’ve DNF’d and don’t plan on picking up again will be donated to one of my local charity shops as soon as they reopen 😊

Comments