Along the Endless River by Rose Alexander

 


Hi everyone, today is my stop on the book tour for Rose Alexanders brilliant novel Along the Endless River. Instead of my usual summary I’m just going to jump right in at the blurb followed by my review;

In the heart of the rainforest, Katharine will fight for her life and for love?

1890: When Katharine and her husband, Anselmo, set sail to Brazil to reap the spoils of the rubber boom, it seems as if they cannot fail. But when Anselmo dies suddenly on the treacherous waters of the Amazon, a pregnant Katharine must decide whether or not to continue her husband’s dream, alone.

Meanwhile her sister Mabel is struggling to support their family back in London. Navigating new worlds in the upper class, she discovers that life as a housemaid has its own dangers, and Mabel soon learns that the whims of men can prove deadly…

Mabel and Katharine must both fight for their futures if they are ever to be reunited. Can they find love and happiness along the way?

I’m really glad I chose this as my first book to read of the year, it had a little bit of all the things I like, historical fiction, love interests, suspense and a strong female lead. This story really gripped me from the start, it was really fast paced, and I didn’t find any dull spots in it at all. I’m a big fan of Alexander’s writing style and especially liked how much detail and imagery she was able to include without detracting from the story.

Katharine is one of my all time favourite characters, the author keeps her true to herself even after her husbands death and she sticks to her core values despite the difficulties she faces. I love how she treats her workers and even just the small daily interactions she has with them allows us to get a true and unfiltered view of life on the compound.

I actually can’t find any negatives about this novel, I really loved it and absolutely flew through it so I highly recommend you check it out!


Comments