Keep Walking Rhona Beech by Kate Tough

 



Right from the start of her story I knew I liked Rhona, she just came across as so down to earth and relatable which remained steady throughout the book. When we first meet her she's recovering from a break up and feels a bit like her life has become stagnant, repeating the same cycle of work, eat, cry, sleep. Unfortunately for Rhona issues come to a head when she has an abnormal result from a cervical screening resulting in her needing an operation to treat the cancer before it spreads.

Her relationships with her friends and family are tested and her underlying mental health issues become more prominent which thankfully allows her to get some sorely needed help. I was really pleased to see the Maggie's centre mentioned as well as some of the brilliant support they have on offer. After having a family member who was able to benefit from their amazing services while undergoing treatment it always makes me happy to see them get the recognition they deserve. 

I enjoyed that while the book was set in Glasgow the author didn't feel the need to populate every chapter with landmarks or clichés about the city, something which I find a major turn off in destination literature. There wasn't any excess detail or padding in the book, which is a rare treat, only the relevant pieces glimpsed through Rhona's inner monologue. I both laughed and cried while reading this book as I was just so invested in Rhona's story and challenge any reader not to be.

Comments