Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo



*Disclaimer* I try my best to avoid spoilers as always but as this is the second book in the trilogy it's gonna be a bit harder but I'll try my best! 

 Before I joined Bookstagram I read Shadow and Bone on a whim when my kindle recommended it to me, I really enjoyed it and then promptly forgot about it. It was only after seeing the massive following that Bardugos work has online that I decided to reread it and I'm so glad I did.

I reviewed Shadow & Bone after my reread and I'm now onto Siege & Storm which I think I may have actually enjoyed even more than the first book. I loved seeing how Alina and Mal functioned as a couple while they were living a semi-normal life - while still on the run- in Cofton, and it wasn't until much later that I began to get quite annoyed by Mal. 

At the start of the book he was fine, but there was a period in the middle when I just really wanted him out of the picture. He went to Os Alta for Alina, but then spends the whole time they're there resenting her and just generally being horrible to her while trying to drink and gamble away his problems. By the end of the book I did feel he redeemed himself but its safe to say I now understand why so many people dislike him. 

Another key character I want to talk about is Prince Nikolai Lanstov and his role in supporting Alina during her time in Os Alta. As much as I feel he took advantage of the fact the people had started viewing her as a Saint and he wanted to leverage the power that gave her into his claim for the throne I think he really cared for her and I'm glad he had a major part to play in this story. 

Overall it was a great middle book in a trilogy and I highly recommend it. I found it pretty fast paced throughout, which I enjoy, and it's fairly action packed but doesn't miss out any of the nuances which make Bardugo's writing so distinct. 

 

Comments