Esemtu Graphic Novel

 


Esemtu was something a bit different for me as I've never read and reviewed a graphic novel before but after finishing it I can honestly say I'm so glad they reached out. Esemtu is a graphic novel rated pg-13, started by three women who wanted to tell a slightly different story, one where the main characters themselves weren't gifted with miraculous powers, but still fills you will the excitement that a good fantasy story does. 

Here's the blurb from their website esemtu.com; Three university students get tangled up in a mystery murder. However, they realize that they’ll have to open their minds to the supernatural to solve this case. Soon, they find themselves dragged into a magic world of fantastic creatures, gods, demons and immortals, that will change their lives forever. 

Join them in their thrilling adventure to uncover the ancient secrets!

The story takes a little while to pick up which is usually something I'm not a big fan of but in this case I really appreciated it as it allowed me to get the flow of the story and really pick up on the background which proves to be integral as the story goes on. 

A real unique selling point for this novel in my eyes is that it is based on Sumerian mythology rather than the typical Greek or Norse that I'm used to. I also love that if you visit their website they have loads of information on the gods which are mentioned throughout the story and a fun quiz to find out who would be your patron god.

Now in terms of the story itself it managed to touch on a number of heavier issues such as murder, asylum seekers and racism without bogging it down or using it as a sole means to progress the narrative. It was all very clear and easy to follow and despite some action happening I found it really relaxing to read. The picture quality was also really good and I love how the several of the characters seemed to look exactly how I thought they would from reading it. 

It progressed at a decent pace and I was able to see enough of each character to get a good feel for them. I particularly felt for Dave towards the end of the story when he begins to questions his beliefs but know that his friends will be there to support him in the next one. 

I've been lucky enough to receive the second volume from them as well so I'm very excited to be starting and reviewing it soon. I expect you all to visit Esemtu and be up to date on your Sumerian mythology by then! If you do the quiz to find your patron god let me know who you get - I got Ereshkigal queen of the underworld!


Comments