Ruin & Rising by Leigh Bardugo

 


With this being the third book in the series I'm going to do my best to avoid spoilers but if you haven't read the other two in the series just go and do it before reading this! They're brilliant and I've got full reviews of them in my last two posts respectively if you want some help deciding if they're right for you :)

I found the beginning of this book quite slow and really didn't enjoy the time they spent in the white cathedral. I think this was partly because over the course of the series I've become so emotionally invested in Alina and I didn't like seeing her in the weakened state her last encounter with the Darkling had left her in, both mentally and physically. 

During this period of time Alina is unable to use her powers and is making the use of some of her Inferni followers to deceive the pilgrims who are flowing into the underground sanctuary in the hopes of catching a glimpse of Sankta Alina. She is working with the Apparat at this stage although that's mostly as she appears not to have much option as he she has been separated from all of her people and he has his men following her every move.

Genya is her main ally during her time spent underground as she is the only one she is allowed to see as the apparat is under the impression she is putting her tailor skills to work in order to help Alina's appearance recover from her recent hardships. Despite her betrayal in the past Genya is now one of Alina's main supporters and after the punishment she received at the hands of the Darkling I was ready to give her a second chance.

Once the team leave the underground tunnel system things really start to pick up, we get to see Nikolai again as well as the King and Queen of Ravka and he begins to show a deeper side of himself rather than just the charming upper layer he so readily shows at every opportunity. 

The novel continues in this fast paced fashion right the way through and I really didn't want to put it down. In typical Bardugo style it grips you and doesn't let go, with a few surprises thrown in for good measure. I don't want to go too deep into an analysis of the Darkling as I've read hundreds online myself but I did want to say that I never really shipped him and Alina. There was a bit of chemistry there but with him being unknowably old and overall a bit of a dick I never thought they were a good match.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending so although I'm pleased with how Alina's story turned out I truly feel she should have ended up with Nikolai and nothing you can say will change my mind - until I've read King of Scars anyway, at which point I might need to write a retraction. I'm so pleased I managed to read and digest the trilogy before the Netflix adaptation comes out later this month and I'm hoping to get Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom done also.

Are you looking forward to the show? Would you like me to review it once it's aired? Let me know either in the comments or reach out on Instagram and Twitter @reviewedbyalli.

Comments