The Houseplant by Jeremy Ray



This short story took me completely by surprise - I didn't expect it to take me on a complete emotional roller coaster then leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy.

This is definitely the only story I have ever read which is told from a plants perspective but that is not the only thing that makes it unique.

The detail and depth which the author is able to achieve makes you almost forget that the story is being told by a plant, but then the style it's written in and the distinctive perspective which is achieved never quite let's you forget. 

I loved how the activities which took place inside the house that George observes are used to progress the story and that such and interesting narrative is able to take place in so few pages. 

I'd really recommend you set aside a bit of time and read this all in one go so you can experience the full emotional effects of it and then take it as a reminder to go and take care of your plants! 




Comments