A Court of Thorns And Roses by Sarah J Maas - Spoiler Free Review

 

After initially learning about SJM's work on bookstagram it took a recommendation from a colleague at work before I decided to risk actually trying her books. I'm not sure why I waited so long but all I can say is that they are definitely worth the hype.

If like myself you feel you might need a bit of convincing but have thus far have managed to avoid the deluge of spoilers that seems to be all over insta since the invention of reels, keep reading for my 100% honest and spoiler free review. 

This is the first book in the series so I was worried there might be a lengthy portion at the start of the book where a lot of world building would take place but it was done so skilfully and scattered through the book as needed rather than a huge dump at the start that it never felt heavy, yet I always had a clear picture in my head and knew exactly what the author had envisioned. 

We get a good idea of Feyre's family's dynamic early on and I will admit I did form some opinion about her sisters and father very quickly which may or may not have been changed as I've read on in the series. All of the characters who we meet throughout the story feel dimensional and real, even the supporting characters, which I really enjoyed and found made it easier for me to create a connection with them.

I never felt that there were any slow parts in this novel, although there were definitely some parts where I was so engrossed I had to force myself to put it down so I could go to sleep for the night. If I hadn't been in the process of moving house when I picked up this book I easily could have read it all in a day - that's how good it was. 

The writing style that SJM uses just seemed to work really nicely, however I am struggling to put my finger on why that is. I would definitely say this is one of my favourite books I have ever read and I think that if you're a fan of the fantasy genre you really should give it a go. I know that it has gathered a lot of hype online and I've heard there are also plans for it to be turned into a TV series, which I feel just supports my argument for you to read it before it comes out!


Comments