Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon


My decision to read this book was heavily influenced by how many people were raving about it on bookstagram and a recommendation from a colleague at work.
I'm going to start off by saying there is a lot of sex and sex references in this book as well as rape early on so just be aware of that going in, and if you decide its not for you that's absolutely fine!
The book kicks right off with our main character Georgie having been abducted by little green men along with several other women and being held like cattle in a cage where the prisoners are punished with rape for creating noise or any kind of general disturbance.
This was really grim and it did nearly make me stop reading but I'm glad I didn't. I liked the group dynamic that formed between the girls being held prisoner and I loved how that dynamic held true when they crashed on the ice planet - affectionately referred to as "Not-Hoth". I've never been one for the trope where women don't know what to do in a disaster situation unless instructed by men and I love that the girls formed a plan to try and save themselves.
When Georgie meets Vektal that's when things start to get a bit spicy and I feel like the author managed to balance the dirty scenes really well as going in I was a bit afraid they would outweigh the plot, but they actually supported it nicely and helped us to see the bond forming between the two.
There are definitely a couple of twists and turns I didn't see coming which helped to keep me engagesld and the average reader like myself would find it to be quite a quick read - definitely doable in one session.
It ticks all the right boxes and managed to pull me right out of a reading slump. I think this book is perfect if you're in a slump also, or just looking for something different and light to read. As mainly a fantasy reader I really enjoyed how light and fast paced it was and that despite being on a totally alien planet there wasn't an info dump or too much to take in at once and I was really able to concentrate on the characters. 

Comments