The Guest List by Lucy Foley

 





I originally bought The Guest List last year with the intention of reading it after The Hunting Party, but I hated The Hunting Party so much I put it off until I started this TBR challenge.


I tried to go in with an open mind and I'm so glad I did because I enjoyed it so much that I even leant the book to my mum once I finished it, hence my second ever attempt at an edited photo above.


The Guest List follows a very similar theme to The Hunting Party where a group of old friends meet in a remote location and uncover secrets and mysteries about one another culminating in a body being discovered. What I find really interesting about Foley's writing is that we don't discover who has been murdered or the murderer until we're almost finished the book. I think this really helps to keep the suspense going and I went through several different scenarios in my head of who it could be.


In The Hunting Party I didn't enjoy this suspense at all but there were several factors about The Guest List that allowed me to truly enjoy it this time around. The characters were truly three dimensional and I really got a flavour for each of them, even the ones we didn't interact with much. I really loved Jules' in particular and despite being painted as quite cold and calculating the parts narrated through her viewpoint were my favourite.


As well as this the imagery was so immersive you felt like you were surrounded by a bunch of overgrown prep school children with all their snobbery and bad behaviour front any centre.


I'd highly recommend you give this book a go, even if you weren't a fan of The Hunting Party, I think that Foley just gets better with each book she writes.



Comments