Barbarian Mine by Ruby Dixon

 


I think it's just time I accept that I am really enjoying the barbarian aliens series and stop just using it as my cure for every reading slump and book hangover. There's something about Dixons writing style I find really soothing and easy to read. The storyline throughout the books doesn't abruptly confront you however there are definitely serious issues covered there from consent, feminism and societal pressure.

This book follows Harlow and Rukh and their budding romance and resonance. In a similar to vein as the previous books we get to see them grow and develop as a couple except in this case they get to do that away from the tribe at a beautiful and slightly more temperate seaside cave before a mystery illness strikes Harlow and Rukh must seek out the healer. 

This book could definitely be read as a stand alone or as part of the series, none of the storyline really relies to heavily on previous knowledge and Dixon allows plenty of context for a new reader to pick up on. Despite it being very similar I didn't feel it getting repetitive, something I'm worried about happening if I decide to continue the series. I feel there were less sex scenes in this book overall compared to the first few but I think there was a lot more plot and context in this one so I'm glad they weren't just crammed in there for no reason.

I like how there was a semi-realistic relationship development between Harlow ad Rukh with the two of them learning how to communicate despite the language barrier. Overall I did enjoy this book and I flew through it much like the previous ones. I feel like these are ideal as a kind of palate cleanser between heavier reads but I am definitely enjoying this genre more and more with each read.


Comments