Red Rising by Pierce Brown

 


I discovered red rising a few years ago when I purchased it as a mystery book from blind date with a book. Unfortunately that particular store has been on a break since around the time the pandemic hit and doesn't seem to be back up and running again so I am on the lookout for other blind date with a book recommendations. 

When I first joined bookstagram I was pleased to see what a great following the series had and I was certain I wanted to reread it when I got a chance and I'm so glad I FINALY got round to it. Red Rising begins following our main character Darrow as he works deep in the mines of mars harvesting helium-3 to aid in the terraforming of the planet. Darrow is a Red, the lowest colour in their caste system and his existence is restricted to the mines where the men mine and the women harvest silk from the spider farms and all live in poverty. Other colours are also present in the mines maintaining order and doling out justice as they see fit. 

When tragedy strikes Darrow is snuck out of the mines with a mission to infiltrate the Golds, the highest colour and responsible for all that is wrong in his world. But this new world is much bigger and more complex than he ever imagined. 

With this reread I love this book even more than the first time. It's so multifaceted and the character development from Darrow is impeccable and seems so plausible for a teenager who was forced to grow up to fast, who is surrounded by strangers and powered by rage. 

I also have more of an appreciation for how complex of a society Brown was able to create with the different sectors and roles that each colour plays. I'd love to do an in depth review of the whole series going book by book if people would like that but I'll leave this review here as the twists in this are simply sublime and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. 

If you're in to YA sci-fi/fantasy or anything with complex political structures and realistic characters you should definitely give this one a go. 

Comments