House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas

 


This review will contain spoilers.

This is the second series I've read by Maas following ACOTAR and I loved it. From the opening where Bryce is on a date with her douche of a boyfriend I was immediately gripped and that only faltered slightly about half way through but I think that was my own fault for trying to steamroll through such a large book without breaking it up at all.

In terms of characters in this Bryce was my stand out favourite. After Danika's death she stopped being such a "party girl" but I love how her integral character traits didn't change and she kept the same level of authenticity throughout. Hunt and Ruhn are tied for second place, our two favourite "alphaholes". Hunt got on my nerves a bit at the start but I did like how the tension built between himself and Bryce and the very natural progression of him opening up to her. With Ruhn I felt like Bryce was being a bit unfair to him but then hen we get to the end of the novel and we discover Bryce was hiding her starborn powers for fear of it affecting Ruhn it all made a lot more sense.

In terms of the plot I really enjoyed it, the forced proximity, the twists and turns which I just couldn't predict and just the whole dynamic and story telling. I love how Bryce maintains the same attitude and demeanour even in the presence of the Arch Angel Micah who has her literally quaking in her heels and how she just summons one of the princes of hel so nonchalantly and totally blindsides hunt by informing him they've actually met before.

Another aspect of the book I enjoyed and found quite different to anything I've read before was the modern setting including tourists, technology and police forces/special investigation units and how this all blended with the more traditional fantasy element. I could literally talk about this book for hours but I'm going to stop here, if anyone wants a deep dive or to just fangirl over SJM in more find me on Instagram. 

Comments