House of Sky and Breath by Sarah J Maas

 


This review will contain spoilers.

HOSAB picks right up where the first novel in the series ended and features all of our favourite characters. I love that Bryce and Hunt have finally decided to get together but was really frustrated by the fact they had decided to make a pact and try and take things slow with their relationship, I think I understand why SJM wrote it that way but the building tension all felt a bit unnecessary when there had already been so much of it in the first book in the series. By this point I already knew they were endgame but did like the change in dynamic that came when the Autumn King decreed that Bryce had to marry Prince Cormac.

He did seem like a bit of an asshole at first but as we worked through the storyline featuring the rebels and trying to locate Sophie and Emile Renast it became obvious just how much he cared for her and I was surprised he was able to hold it together so well for so long, despite the enormous stress he was under.

I like that we got to see a bit more of Tharion and the dynamic within the River Court during this book  which helped give a bit more background to his actions and decision making. Having to walk on eggshells around your queen who just happens to be an elemental with untold power will make you a bit desperate at times. I was so sad towards the end of the book when Tharion was forced to flee to the viper queen and agree to be one of he fighters in the pit in order to escape the River Queens brutal justice for spurning her daughter. I know this will set him up for a good arc in the future but as one of my favourite characters I hope it's not going to be as brutal as I suspect it will be.

I feel like Ruhn and his friends got a nice amount of development in to, especially after Ithan freed the fire sprites and dragon from their rings. We will definitely be seeing Ariadne again I reckon and wouldn't be surprised if she was removed from that rooftop against her will. I can also see Ithan being set up for an impressive arc especially factoring in the wolf the he was trying to set free from the sorcerer. 

Ruhns connection with agent daybright features a special mention and I couldn't get over how much his powers are like Rhys from the ACOTAR series, from the ending I know the crossover is coming but more on that in a bit. I did find it a bit disappointing that I worked out who agent day was before the grand reveal, I feel like it was too obvious it was the Hind, the main factor which cemented it for me was when she was pulled from her connection with Ruhn to have sex with the man sharing her bed, something about that just left me with no doubt it was her. Although I was pleasantly surprised she turned up at the end to try and help them escape the cells.

The big reveal of the Asteri feeding off the firstlight being released by the citizens and then the second light when their souls also die was done brilliantly, and I loved how Bryce acted so in character in discovering it and digging to get all the truth she could while in that room.

I had spoiled the end for myself by seeing it online because I waited several months after the books release to actually read it but loved the whole journey to Prythian and her being found by one of the Illyrians and brought to the townhouse and them only being able to converse in the old language of the Fae which Bryce knows from her work. I am very excited for the next instalment although I am hoping to have read the Throne of Glass series by then also as TikTok has been hinting the characters from that series will also make an appearance.

Comments