Lucky Stiff by Barbara Bellesi Zito

 


Larry has got to be one of the funniest accountants I've ever met, and I do really feel like I know him after reading Lucky Stiff. When Larry wins a truly obscene amount of money playing the lottery he isn't quite sure what to do. Not only unsure of how to spend the money, but even unsure of when he wants to claim it or when he wants to tell anyone about it. This leads him down a very interesting journey where he encounters some obstacles old and new and I like to think he really learns some things about himself in the process.

Larry is definitely my favourite character in this book and not just because he's the one we see the most of. Larry always tries to do the right thing and not be an inconvenience to others and he feels like he should have to work for what he wants, all while trying to appreciate what he already has. The small aspects included in this book like him always drinking his coffee out on the deck as they had paid extra to get a condo with one really made me smile and appreciate Larry more. 

I enjoyed a lot of the other characters we get to meet as well especially Sarah and Jordan and despite Larry being especially stressed for a good portion of the book I do think we get to see several of the characters develop nicely. 

The storyline definitely went in a direction I didn't expect and there were a few twists and turns in there which threw me off quite well. I don't want to spoil anything but the twist at the end really did catch me off guard although I did think it was quite fitting for the character. I guess you're just going to have to read the book to find out what I'm talking about.

I found this a refreshing read and the humour peppered throughout really helped to keep it light despite some of the upheaval our characters were going through. Lucky Stiff is available now so please be sure to check it out and follow the author @barbthewriter on Instagram.

Comments