Working Hard, Hardly Working by Grace Beverly

 



It wasn't until I started reading this book that I realised I used to watch Grace's videos on YouTube back when she went by the handle of GraceFitUK. I decided to read this book after it was recommended on one of the podcasts I frequent and despite being a bit different than my usual I thought I'd give it a go.

I haven't been a big reader of self-development books in the past but during 2022 I really started to develop an appreciation for them. Overall I did find this book really interesting especially the idea of if you are able to incorporate your Micro Passions (the things you really enjoy and make you feel fulfilled) in to more parts of your everyday and work life, you'll overall feel greater job satisfaction and most likely become a better performer. 

Grace also references a number of well known/researched theories and studies which help back up a lot of what she is saying and while none of these are actually new, hearing her interpretation of the results and how everyday people can put these in to action was very interesting and quite frankly useful. 

Despite not being able to include or pursue my micro passions in my current job role this book did help me to reframe job satisfaction and help to view my current issue with it in a new light which I hope will help me make positive changes in 2023.

A fair portion of the book was devoted to priorities and different ways in which you can classify them so that you can find the work you genuinely need to do, what needs to be done first and what can be delegated. Prioritising is something I think a lot of people are good at but the delegating not so much, I know that previously if it was something I was physically capable of, I would try and do it, even if it meant that that task along with 2 others would all be done to a poorer level. Something I am now working to actively change in my life.

Also I wanted to give a shout-out to time blocking which Grace does mention in this book and again despite it not being something she created, without her talking through it and her examples it would be one of those things I never would have tried. Now I have tried it I love it and again despite it not being truly applicable in my current role, I have been able to use it in other aspects of my life to create positive results. 

I'd definitely recommend this book and reading it the tone reminded me so much of those videos I used to enjoy watching. There's noting worse than a self development book which sounds robotic and unfeeling and I can promise you this book is definitely neither of those.

Comments